• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Gareth Southgate set to stay as England manager despite World Cup quarters exit

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Gareth Southgate set to stay as England manager despite World Cup quarters exit

2_GettyImages-1448286313.jpg

Gareth Southgate's future as England manager was up in the air after England were only just knocked out of the 2022 World Cup by France in the quarter-final stage of the competition

Gareth Southgate has decided to remain as manager of the England football team.

The Three Lions' boss cast his future into doubt when he said he wanted to reflect about England's exit. His side were knocked out by current World Cup finalists France at the quarter-final stage.

While England did not disgrace themselves against the current holders, many were left frustrated by the fact the Three Lions were unable to overcome one of the top nations in the business end of the World Cup. However, Southgate has reportedly decided it is not yet time to step aside.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Southgate has decided to remain in the Three Lions hot seat. He has been in charge since 2016 when he was given the reins after Sam Allardyce was forced to resign after only one match.

Under his stewardship, England have reached the semi-finals stage of the 2018 World Cup, the Euro 2020 final, and the quarter-finals of the tournament in Qatar.

While Southgate is currently England's second most successful manager, behind 1966 World Cup winning boss Sir Alf Ramsey, there have been many disappointments for the Three Lions this year. Their relegation from Nations League A was a bitter pill to swallow, particularly as part of their fate was sealed by a humiliating 4-0 home loss to Hungary.

And Southgate even admitted that defeat at the Molineux had been playing on his mind for a very long time. “Look, I've found large parts of the last 18 months difficult," Southgate said after the game.

He added, “What's been said and what's been written, the night at Wolverhampton there's lots of things in my head that’s really conflicted at the moment, so what I want to make sure, if it's the right thing to say, is that I've definitely got the energy to do that.

“I don't want to be four or five months down the line thinking I've made the wrong call. It's too important for everybody to get that wrong.

“After every tournament, I’ve sat with everybody at the FA and talked things through logically and I think that's the right process to go through again.”

Daily Star Sunday