• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Arsenal fans fume as Newcastle goal survives three VAR checks – Neville doesn’t have a clue

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Arsenal fans fume as Newcastle goal survives three VAR checks – Neville doesn’t have a clue

1_NEWCGOAL.jpg

Three checks from the video assistant referee weren't enough to prevent Newcastle from taking the lead against Arsenal - but even Gary Neville didn't know who to side with

Newcastle's Premier League dreams received a valuable shot in the arm when Anthony Gordon fired them ahead against Arsenal on Saturday.

That was despite the game's opening strike being dissected by the VAR for three different disturbances, any one of which might have downed the Magpies' spirits. And it just so happened to be former Gunner Joe Willock whose sensational cross into the Arsenal box caused the mayhem.

The first point of address was to check whether the ball had travelled beyond the goal line when Willock went to retrieve Jacob Murphy's mishit cross. Then, officials debated over whether the towering Joelinton was offside prior to controlling the ball into the path of the lurking Gordon.

READ MORE: Kai Havertz gets booked for ‘stupid’ challenge – but so do three Newcastle players

READ MORE: Julian Alvarez 'loses tooth' and Man City star doesn't even realise he's missing gnasher

Finally, it had to be determined whether the Brazilian had fouled Arsenal defender and countryman Gabriel while jostling for the ball. But Gordon & Co were elated to see the goal given the green light, much to the chagrin of Mikel Arteta and the entire Gunners fanbase.

"Well he’s just gone up front Gordon, they think it’s gone out, but… it’s close, it’s very, very close," said Gary Neville on Sky Sports commentary. "But what’s not in doubt is the goal itself. [David] Raya underneath it, he makes a mess of it, Gabriel might be whining about a push in the back, but there’s nothing in that for me.

"[Foul on Gabriel check]That’s not a free kick for me from Joelinton, I just think Gabriel leans forward to head the ball and stoops down and misses it. That’s a natural jump for the ball, I’m not having that one at all.

"[Offside check] Just let me know when they’re finished, will ya? I’m done with this, I’m finished. Gabriel has gone forward himself to head the ball, throwing his legs into Joelinton so it’s not a push. He could be offside now, I’m not sure. I haven’t got a clue. VAR at Stockley Park have just asked for extra time - and they’ve given it."

The finish came after a feisty first 45 minutes at St. James' Park, where Kai Havertz was fortunate to remain on the field following a tough sliding challenge. He was carded before three Newcastle players - Gordon, Sean Longstaff and Fabian Schar - were then cautioned for their roles in a melee involving most of the players on the field.

Bruno Guimaraes and substitute Tino Livramento were later added to the book as Gordon's goal proved the difference and stopped the Gunners from drawing level with Manchester City at the Premier League's peak. Newcastle, meanwhile, move back up to sixth in the standings and are now unbeaten in nine domestic outings.

Daily Star Sunday