• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias Death Row killer dies after 22-minutes of 'torturous' pain in new execution method

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Death Row killer dies after 22-minutes of 'torturous' pain in new execution method

1_JS322662353_Main.jpg

Kenneth Eugene Smith, a Death Row inmate who evaded death in a botched execution, has been confirmed dead by the Holman Correctional Facility where he was jailed for the killing of Elizabeth Sennett

A Death Row inmate who survived a previous execution order has been put to death with a controversial gassing method, as he writhed for 22-minutes of 'torturous' pain.

Kenneth Eugene Smith was jailed for life in 1988 for the pay-for-hire murder of Elizabeth Sennett before his sentence was reworked by a judge in 2017. The judge ruled the murderer should face the death penalty, which has since been actioned and left Smith "convulsing".

Smith, 58, was confirmed dead through execution at Holman Correctional Facility after the Supreme Court in Alabama, United States, approved a never-before used form of execution, nitrogen hypoxia.

The Alabama Attorney General's Office had expected Smith to lose consciousness quickly but the Death Row lag was left to struggle badly for the 22 minutes. Smith's spiritual advisor, Reverend Jeff Hood, called the execution a "great evil", The Sun reported.

Smith had remained alert for several minutes after the gas began to flow, and for around two minutes was seen ripping his head forward and back while strapped to the gurney as pure nitrogen was pumped through a mask resembling a firefighter breathing apparatus.

In his final words, Smith blasted the state of Alabama and claimed humanity had taken a "step backward" before he was put to death with pure nitrogen administered through a face mask.

Before his death, Smith said: "Tonight, Alabama causes humanity to take a step backward. Humanity rose up... I am leaving with love, peace, and light... I love you. Thank you for supporting me. I love all of you."

Smith's previous encounter with the executioner's room in 2022 saw him placed in an inverted crucifix position as the medical team tasked with putting him to death struggled to find a vein for four hours.

It was a moment which left Smith with PTSD for the remainder of his life, his legal team claimed.

In his final days, Smith rallied against the horrifying Death Row blunder, which he says left him with daily panic attacks. Speaking to the BBC before his death, Smith said: "I'm nauseous all the time. Panic attacks hit regularly... this is just a small part of what I've been dealing with daily. Torture, basically."

Smith was starved of oxygen which was replaced with nitrogen until he died.

The method was approved by the State of Alabama but denounced by the United Nations, who deemed it close to torture. He was denied food ahead of his execution after his last meal, which he received at 10am local time.

Speaking before his impending execution, Smith said: "I am not ready for that. Not in no kind of way. I’m just not ready, brother."

Some considered the use of nitrogen as a suitable execution method a peaceful death, though Dr Philip Nitschke, a euthanasia expert, aired their concerns over how the state would use it. "I feel anxious about Kenny, and I just don't know which way things are going to go," he said.

Shortly before his death, Smith said: "Wish I had done things differently. One second, one moment in a man’s life. And that’s been the only incident – I’ve not had any incident with officers, not a single fight with inmates, in 35 years. Violence is not who I am.

"I've been in prison for 35 years, how have I not been punished? Thirty-five years. I have not gone unpunished for 35 years. I have suffered doing this. So has my family."

Daily Star Sunday