• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias 'Post-apocalyptic' estate ‘looks like Syria’ with burnt-out cars and roofless buildings

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
'Post-apocalyptic' estate ‘looks like Syria’ with burnt-out cars and roofless buildings

1_Bradford-estate-that-looks-like-Syria-with-burnt-out-cars-and-roofless-buildings.jpg

Holme Wood in Bradford, West Yorkshire, is like the war-torn country according to YouTuber 'Honest Places', as residents say it is run by 'gangsters' and has vadalism and fly-tipping problems

A UK council estate has been likened to Syria as debris are strewn everywhere and some roof-less buildings look bombed out.

Among the stranger fly-tipped objects in the "gritty" Holme Wood in Bradford, West Yorkshire, was a car engine on the footpath, horse carts on a mound of kitchen appliances and mattresses, and burned out vehicles and containers.

A bloke called Danny who runs the 'Honest Places' YouTube channel even encountered two horses tethered to trees on the grass banks.

READ MORE: Russia's depressing old gulag town deep in the Arctic where homes sell for less then 1p

Click for the latest Russia news from the Daily Star.

The content creator took a trip to the embattled estate, Bradford's biggest, and opened: "Who can live like this? Holme Wood isn't for the faint hearted."

Upon his first foray into the area he encountered numerous mounds of rubbish made up of household items and trash. Danny says: "I mean just look at the state of this.

"A car's driven through here onto there, maybe a car's been burnt out or something.

"A mattress has been burnt out there bloody hell. God, I mean who just does stuff like this?"

Danny stumbles upon an abandoned building that he later finds out is an old dementia home.

As he walks around the site, which is covered in trash and evidence of fires, he says: "This is Syria-esque! It's like a post-apocalyptic world."

One viewer, Claire Smith, responded saying she lived in the area in the 70s. She wrote: "I grew up there in the 70s. Always had its problems, but that’s just awful. So sad!

"I remember the wide open green spaces and local woods and walks. There was a degree of community spirit. Now there’s just no civic pride or mutual respect."

Danny responded with: "Estates like this were always good in the 70's 80's. People respected their area, it's a shame alot of places are like this now!"

Stuart Peters took a very dim view of the whole country. He wrote: "Britain has become a cesspit of a country. I fought for my country but regret it as my country gives me nothing in return."

A blitz on crime the estate's crime since January last year has so far resulted in more than 200 arrests and over £2 million of drugs being seized.

Bradford South Neighbourhood Policing team has executed more than 60 address searches and found 2,739 cannabis plants.

No fewer than 50 bikes and 87 cars were also seized by January this year.

Inspector Tany Ditta who heads up Bradford South’s Neighbourhood Policing Team said: "Crime and anti-social behaviour is a huge concern for residents."

In March 2021 bus company First West Yorkshire said there had been eight vandal attacks on its buses on Broadstone Way in just a week, leading to the suspension of services to the area. Stone-throwing youths were thought to be the culprits.

Residents of the estate are just as fed up as the bus drivers. One mum, who did not want to give her name, told Yorkshire Live: "It's pretty rough around here. Some (of the youths) have no respect. I have been trying to move out for the last two years because I don't want to bring my kids up here."

Locals have previously spoken out about the 'wannabe gangsters' who 'rule the estate'. Many are worried about other issues such as fly-tipping, vandalism and speeding motorbikes and quads.

Bradford's city council has been contacted for comment.

Daily Star Sunday