• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Jordan Spieth makes eagle and cut after ball avoids water by bouncing off fan

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Jordan Spieth makes eagle and cut after ball avoids water by bouncing off fan

0_GettyImages-1472591997.jpg

America golf star Jordan Spieth likely would have missed the cut at The Players Championship were it not for one well (or poorly) placed spectator next to a water hazard

Making the cut at any PGA Tour event doesn't come through sheer luck alone—but it definitely doesn't hurt to have a little on one's side.

As Jordan Spieth discovered at The Players Championship on Friday when a golf fan's unintentional intervention may have just kept him in the competition. That was after the American's wayward shot hit said spectator to avoid a water hazard and eagle his final hole of the second round.

Spieth, 29, approached the ninth tee sat on two-over-par, not knowing for certain what score would be required to make the weekend's cut. His initial drive looked destined for the water when it rebounded off the unsuspecting spectator and took a perfect bounce back onto the fairway for a lay-up onto the green.

Whom do you think will win The Players Championship? Let us know in the comments section.

He followed up with an eagle to end Day 2 even for the first two rounds, which was ultimately more than enough to make the plus-three cut-off. Spieth's good fortune wasn't lost on him, either, as he appealed to track down the crowd member later in the day.

“I got an extremely lucky break on No. 9, or I wouldn’t be playing the weekend,” he told reporters after wrapping up his second round. “So trying to get that guy’s information and see literally whatever he wants this weekend because everything from here on out is because it hit him.”

The PGA Tour posted footage of Spieth handing one of his gloves to the man hit by his ball, who graciously accepted before passing it onto a child in the audience. Without that intervention, the penalty drop from his likely plunge may have resulted in Spieth packing his bags before the weekend.

“Very fortunate,” added the three-time major champion. “Can’t say I deserved it, but I tried to hold my attitude together and just keep on focusing on trying one foot in front of the other. I don’t know if that means I got rewarded for that or what, but overall, I got very, very fortunate on 9.”

Spieth made it count during Saturday's third round, too, as he jumped from joint-44th on the leaderboard back into title contention with a six-under display. That's still considerably off the pace of pace-setters like Min Woo Lee and Scottie Scheffler at the summit, though it at least gives him a chance heading into Sunday's crescendo.

Depending on the fourth-round result, it may end up being the battle-worn bystander who ends up chasing Spieth for a commission. And the 2015 Masters champion appeared happy enough to oblige, regardless of how much he takes home from TPC Sawgrass.

Daily Star Sunday