• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias Bloke wins £1m on lottery with girlfriend – before she dumps him without a penny

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Bloke wins £1m on lottery with girlfriend – before she dumps him without a penny

1_JS325296332_banner.jpg

Michael Cartlidge admits it was his girlfriend Charlotte Cox who purchased the winning £1million scratchcard, but claims it was his idea to buy it and is fuming at being left without a penny from the prize

A man whose girlfriend purchased a winning £1million Lotto scratchcard has vowed to take legal action after she dumped him and was deemed the sole winner by Lottery bosses.

Michael Cartlidge, 39, and Charlotte Cox, 37, purchased the winning ticket together at a Nisa in Spalding, Lincolnshire.

Charlotte was the one who paid for the scratchcard and scratched it, but Michael claimed it was his idea in the first place. He said he even tried to transfer her money to cover the purchase at the time.

Michael said his girlfriend of three months, who he was living with, initially agreed to split the winnings. However, weeks later she left him and claimed the entire jackpot.

The dad-of-one told The Sun: "She said she didn’t have the money to spend on scratchcards, but I said I’d transfer her the money. We were in the shop and I went on my Halifax app.

"I started the transfer, I held it up to show her. You can see me doing this on the shop CCTV... The signal was bad so it didn’t go through at the time in the shop."

Lottery bosses Camelot launched an investigation and reportedly indicated to Michael that the money would be split. This included a review of CCTV footage. However, new National Lottery owners Allwyn found Charlotte to be the rightful claimant of the £1m prize.

Michael is reportedly poised to launch legal action. Despite admitting the couple wouldn't have got the ticket without Charlotte, he said: "She wouldn’t have got it without me either." He claimed the money showed as transferred on his phone about 40 minutes after she scratched the card.

However, Charlotte told The Sun: "I bought the ticket. He didn’t transfer me the money. It is all rubbish, I want nothing to do with it." A source close to her said "you can’t believe a word that man says", adding that the last three months of Charlotte's life have been ruined.

Michael said the couple filled in Charlotte's name on the back of the card, but the winnings were to go into a joint account. He said, after conversations with Camelot, they were told to set up private banking and visited NatWest in Spalding just over three weeks on from the win.

Charlotte then told him via a friend that she wanted him to leave her house. He took the scratchcard, and said he eventually handed it over to Camelot staff on November 21.

Someone from the company then visited Lincolnshire to interview the pair separately about the dispute. A message sent to them both from Camelot on January 25 read: "Hi both, it’s gone back to the legal team for the moment to decide what we need to draft for you to sign regarding the sharing of the prize if that is what you’ve both agreed. This should at least save you having to pay a solicitor. We’re nearly there for you."

On February 10, after Allwyn took over the National Lottery, Michael got a letter saying he would not be getting a penny from the £1m prize. He has vowed to take legal action.

Allwyn told The Sun the Scratchcard Games rules make clear "only one person can be the owner of a ticket and that only the person whose name and address is written on the back". The firm added that any dispute between parties must be resolved between themselves.

Daily Star Sunday