• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Britain's new 'wonkiest pub' where pool balls 'roll uphill' after Crooked House inferno

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Britain's new 'wonkiest pub' where pool balls 'roll uphill' after Crooked House inferno

0_SWNS_TILTED_BARREL_003.jpg

Following the fiery destruction of the Crooked House, a new pub in Britain has found itself labelled the 'wonkiest pub' in the country, with The Tilted Barrel now holding the acclaimed title

A boozer which sees its pool balls "roll uphill" is now the wonkiest pub in Britain after the Crooked House property was destroyed in a fire.

The Tilted Barrel, a the 200-year-old pub in Tipton, West Midlands, now holds the title.

It gains its accolade from the Crooked House, a pub which rested just five miles away and was recently caught in a blaze, and landlady Haych Mann, 38, says it is a "bitter sweet" feeling.

The Grade-II listed property has its own tilted floors and wonky door frames, and several months of refurbishment on the run-down premises has been carried out.

Landlady Haych said: "It's a bitter sweet moment to know we might be Britain's wonkiest pub now. Most of our regulars drank in the Crooked House too. I'm a local girl so I knew the pub well and we have lost an iconic pub in the Crooked House.

"So I'm both sad and proud at the same time to learn we might now have that title.

"It's certainly not something I'm celebrating as the Crooked House was a landmark and a piece of Black Country history."

Unlike the tragic end to the Crooked House, a Grade II listing in place does protect The Tilted Barrel from any exposure to the elements.

Haych took over the pub on a 15-year lease, with the property having a "refurb" helping the business to pick up.

She added: "I wouldn't usually take over a pub which was doing badly but this one just seemed special and I thought 'why not?'.

"The pool table was hard to play on, they built a stage to keep the balls running straight but because of the slanted walls it was a bit disorientating.

"So we have moved it into the back room but I'm keeping the darts board where it is."

Now holding the title of Britain's wonkiest pub, it appears the locals are just happy their local boozer is getting the respect it deserves, and do not pay much mind to the tilted angles.

Pub regular Carl Falconer, 46, a plasterer, said: "It's a great pub. It's very family orientated and everybody knows everybody. I'm used to it wonkiness now.

"But I imagine anyone who walks in there for the first time will think 'wow this is crazy'. The building itself goes back to the 19th century I believe but it started to drop in the 1930s. It now sits naturally as this strange angle."

He added the darts team had struggled somewhat with the building as they had to "walk downhill to fetch" their darts when practicing and playing.

Daily Star Sunday