• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias Britain's 'slum' estate is 'like third world country' – residents fear being 'murdered'

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Britain's 'slum' estate is 'like third world country' – residents fear being 'murdered'

1_BANNER-DS_HOPE_ACTON.jpg

Residents inside London's 'third world' estate fear for their lives as they plead to be rehomed as quickly as possible amid constant crime and squalid conditions

Residents have reported how they are fearful for their lives as they plead to be rehomed away from squalid 'third world' estate.

For those living in the shipping container estate in Meath Court, west London every day brings new concerns as crime levels are rife.

Despite the local Labour-led Ealing Council committing to rehoming the residents, they've warned that it take months to move them from what has been labelled the 'worst place to live in Britain'.

And many residents feel like the wait, which could be as late as June, could prove fatal. One woman who lives in the estate told the MailOnline: "'I fear I will die here. This is the worst place to live in Britain. It's like being in a third-world country. I am terrified I will be killed or my children will be killed."

A catalogue of serious crimes has been reported in recent times with attempted murder, sex assaults, violence, drug dealing, thefts and robberies all among the crimes that have ravaged the London estate.

The estate which is comprised of 60 shipping containers houses hundreds with many living in cramped conditions with eight people to two-bedroom flats in some cases.

In some of the flats, three children are living in single rooms that measure just two metres wide by five metres long.

Irene Parker, 41, who has four children spoke of how she feared for her life, she said: "I fear I will die here. This is the worst place to live in Britain.

"I have depression and my doctor said it is because of my living conditions. That is clinical depression.

"It's like being in a third-world country. I am terrified I will be killed or my children will be killed. This is a hellhole. It is disgusting. It is a third-world cesspit. There are prostitutes and pimps everywhere. People openly have sex. There are crack addicts everywhere."

Drug dealing is open and rife. There is a launderette on the site but people are constantly defecating in our clothes.

Despite the horrendous conditions in the Meath Court estate, just a stone's throw away houses can be found fetching over a million pounds.

Another resident at the estate who has lived there for two years, Mellisa Rowland, 42, described just how prominent the drug problem is.

She said: "It's worse than the wild west. It's lawless. The police do not care. It's slum housing.

There has been attempted rapes here, sexual assaults, drug dealing every day. Terrifying levels of violence, I have witnessed severe beatings. The houses are so cramped. It's five or six people living in a home fit for two. I have three children in one tiny bedroom. It's is truly awful. I hate my life."

Sophia Buxton who is the interim political assistant to the Labour group at Ealing Council told the Ealing Times: "The task of decommissioning Meath and Marston Courts and ensuring all residents have appropriate housing elsewhere is complex and cannot be achieved overnight."

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police have said that they had made a 'concerted effort' to combat the reports of crime on the estate.

A spokesperson said: "Over the past few months, we are disappointed to see that the Meath Estate has experienced an unfortunate increase in criminal activity and anti-social behaviour, which we acknowledge.

They continued: "Ealing Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams have stepped up its presence in the area, with daily patrols by uniform officers and PCSO's, providing a visible and reassuring presence for the local residents."

Daily Star Sunday