• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias Wayne Rooney hits back at Tom Brady and Birmingham owners with dig minutes after sacking

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Wayne Rooney hits back at Tom Brady and Birmingham owners with dig minutes after sacking

2_JS320700910.jpg

Wayne Rooney has responded to getting the sack from Birmingham City by claiming the club's owners didn't give him enough time to turn around their fortunes

Wayne Rooney has hit back at Birmingham City sacking him - saying he needed more time in charge.

The Manchester United legend was given the boot by the Championship strugglers after just 15 games in charge, of which he lost nine, on Tuesday (January 2). They were sixth in the table upon his arrival in October, but now sit just six points above the relegation zone in 20th.

Despite his nightmare record, Rooney reckons he wasn't afforded the time to make the necessary changes and made his feelings clear to the club's owners, which includes even-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady.

"I would like to thank Tom Wagner, Tom Brady and Garry Cook for the opportunity to manage Birmingham City FC and the support they all gave me during my short period with the club," he said in a statement issued minutes after his departure was confirmed.

"Football is a results business – and I recognise they have not been at the level I wanted them to be. However, time is the most precious commodity a manager requires and I do not believe 13 weeks was sufficient to oversee the changes that were needed."

It's a big blow to Rooney's managerial CV which also includes a relegation with Derby County, albeit during their administration, and a last-placed finish in the MLS' Eastern Conference for DC United.

"Personally, it will take me some time to get over this setback. I have been involved in professional football, as either a player or manager, since I was 16," he continued.

"Now, I plan to take some time with my family as I prepare for the next opportunity in my journey as a manager. Finally, I wish Birmingham City FC and its owners my best wishes in the pursuit of their ambitions."

The Blues chiefs had a few choice words of their own for Rooney - writing "results have not met the expectations that were made clear at the outset" in their announcement of the sacking.

Daily Star Sunday